Monday, April 25, 2011

A Girl Can Dream...

I don't know if its all the flowers blooming or couples coming out of winter hibernation, but I have had weddings on the brain all week!  I recently wrote a post for Trendy Blair featuring Anthropologie's new wedding collection BHLDN, and that's when the obsession began.  I already love cakes and flowers, so divulging into the beautiful world of weddings was not hard.  And in the spirit of the magnificent Royal Wedding that is upon us, I figured I would indulge in some wedding cake window shopping to prepare for the royal event!

With my roots on my mothers side in Georgia, I have always loved the idea of a country wedding.  Not country like Betty Crocker, but country couture.  Think mustard yellows, soft pinks and creamy ivories.  Mason jars and hanging lanterns; handcrafted country linens; bird houses and picket fences.  On My Sweet and Saucy, among the different masterpieces, I found these two variations of gorgeous country wedding cakes that I could only imagine among the scenarios in my mind.  This charming cake is so simple yet the details really fit perfectly into a chic, country style wedding.  The mustard yellow damask detail at the top and golden pearls around the base are an elegent touch to a rch creamy cake with subtle patterns and wide tiers. The wooden base really is the deal maker for me, giving it a unique rustic detail.


This Victorian beauty is so dainty and delicate with the pink and cream accents of rosettes and pearls.  The details are so intricate that I would not even serve this cake, I would have to make a cupcake recipe for the guests and save the cake forever!!


Contemporary weddings are also dreamy, perhaps a reception in a loft with a view after an intimate ceremony, with hosted champagne and dessert on the patio and martinis and jazz music warming the inside.  This cake from Mark Joseph Cakes in NYC features beautiful textured icing with a light shimmer and a smooth matte monogramed tier in the middle.  




For the perfect mix of contemporary and country, a cake that would be the focal point of any reception, is this beauty created by Wildflowers by Lori.  Serving the brides of the northeast, Wildflowers makes elegant cakes for traditional weddings.  This cake uses a subtle classic, the calla lily, as its key flower.  This modern twist on a traditional cake is perfect for a shabby chic wedding at a site with lush botanical garden.


If you can't wait for the Royal Wedding, there are hours of prep work to be viewed on TLC depicting the love stories of both the modern day and old school princes and princesses.  Friday @ 5:00 am the Royal Wedding will be aired on cable for all the world to see.  Tune in to indulge in the international spectacle with me!

No comments: